Minnesota Rapid Response Team Learning Network Toolkit
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Grant Project
The purpose of the Minnesota Rapid Response Team (RRT) Learning Network was to train teams from Minnesota hospitals to successfully implement RRT teams within their facilities and then spread the learnings from this work throughout the state.
Two cycles of approximately 25 teams were recruited for training through collaborative teamwork and simulation center training. Teams included both urban and rural hospitals. Collaborative teams met for five day-long sessions spread out over twelve months. The Simulation Center Rapid Response Team training consisted of a half-day learning event at the simulation center. The training was designed to prepare a hospital-based team to implement rapid response teams and to test their current RRT model for improvement opportunities.
Hospitals that participated in the project have shared a number of implementation tools that were developed in their organizations. The RRT toolkit (below) includes these local tools plus national resources that can assist organizations in their implementation efforts. In addition, the HealthPartners Simulation Center for Patient Safety continues to offer simulation training for rapid response teams. Training information is included in the toolkit.
Rapid Response Team Toolkit
About Rapid Response Teams (RRT)
- RRT Overview DVD*
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement: Getting Started Toolkit
- Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement: RRT Protocol and Order Set
- Olmsted Medical Center, Rochester, Protocol and Order Set [DOC]
- RRT Flow Chart 1: [DOC]
- RRT Flow Chart 2: [DOC]
- Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Protocol: [DOC]
- Code Audit tool, (MS Excel format): [XLS]
Policies and Procedures
- Olmsted Medical Center, Rochester: [DOC]
- Fairview Lakes Health Services, Wyoming: [DOC]
- Fairview Ridges Hospital, Burnsville: [DOC]
- Rice Memorial Hospital, Willmar: [DOC]
RRT Intervention Forms
- Methodist Hospital, Minneapolis, Call Record: [PDF]
- Regions Hospital, St. Paul, Intervention Form: [DOC]
- RRT Interaction Satisfaction Survey: [DOC]
- RRT Evaluation Form: [DOC]
- RET Feedback Form: [DOC]
- Thank-You Card: [PDF]
- Children’s Hospitals and Clinics, RRT Video*
- Children's Hospitals and Clinics, RRT Video Discussion Guide: [DOC]
- Overview of Simulation Center RRT Training: [DOC]
For information on the RRT videos, contact Julie Apold, (651) 641-1121.